ELKHORN, Neb. (KMTV) — It started with a staff member testing positive on April 28.
Since then, two residents have died and 51 residents and 21 more staff members have tested positive for COVID-19. Most were tested in the last week.
The two deaths were reported on Monday.
The executive director of the facility issued the following statement in a news release:
"We express our sincere condolences to the loved ones of the residents who have passed away. We’ll continue to provide regular updates to state and local officials, as well as to family members who are concerned about the health and safety of their loved ones. Families members should reach out to facility leadership with any questions they have. We encourage family members to continue setting up video chats, phone calls and window visits. We are honored to help coordinate any of those activities."
The facility says the residents are not being moved out of the facility and residents are receiving care from our qualified associates.
A woman reached out to 3 News Now and provided photos of what she said are practices violating CDC guidelines. One photo shows blood work being done without gloves.
Before this novel coronavirus hit, the facility has been cited for poor infection control procedures. They were cited in both 2018 and 2019.
The inspection report from June says a staff member failed to wash their hands between administering medications, and didn't clean a glucometer between uses on different residents.
The public first learned of the outbreak on Tuesday, when Life Care Centers of America told 3 News Now there were eight positive residents and four staff members who tested positive.
The Life Care Centers of America didn't respond for a request to comment on the photos, other than to say Life Care Center of Elkhorn is well stocked on personal protective equipment.