News

Actions

Lightning sparks motel fire in Council Bluffs

Posted at 12:56 PM, Apr 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-24 21:28:24-04

A fire caused by lightning this morning at Value Place in Council Bluffs has displaced all occupants of the extended stay hotel, officials confirm.

Chris Sorensen, assistant fire chief for Council Bluffs fire, said shortly at 7 A.M. they received reports of smoke and flames from the roof of the Value Place located at 3541 14th Ave. in Council Bluffs.

Crews arrived and went door-to-door in the hotel to search for occupants. Initial reports indicate occupants had pulled the fire alarm in the building, but no sound was audible. Occupants went door-to-door to alert other residents, officials said. 

Sorensen said 76 rooms were occupied as of this morning at Value Place.

No injuries were reported.

An assistant manager of Value Place declined to comment. Though many residents tell KMTV they are being relocated to another Value Place in Bellevue or received vouchers through American Red Cross.

Stay with KMTV.com for updates on this breaking news story.